A normal household contains many poisonous substances, from cleaning products to medications to painting supplies. To protect children — and even pets—in your home, follow these precautions:
- Select medicines that have child proof caps.
- Keep medications and household products locked away out of reach of children.
- Install protective devices that keep children from opening cabinet doors and drawers.
- Keep dangerous products in their original, labeled containers.
- Add poison symbol stickers to dangerous items and explain to children what they mean.
- Don’t give a child medicine in the dark.
- Never tell a child that medicine tastes like candy.
- Dispose of outdated medicines as recommended.
- Work with fume-generating products only in well-ventilated areas.